Friday, February 6, 2009

Bulgar Rolls Recipe


If there is one bread recipe that I could call my specialty, bulgar rolls would be the one! I've probably made thousands of these rolls through the years, including several hundred for our wedding. I've tried many other roll recipes and found some we've really enjoyed, but I keep coming back to this one. We love the slightly nutty taste and texture that the bulgar adds. Hope you enjoy this recipe as well!

Bulgar is a cracked wheat that you can find at a bulk foods store. If you don't have bulgar, substitute oatmeal or even brown rice!

2 cup water
1/2 cup bulgar
3 T butter

Boil until bulgar is soft. Cool until lukewarm.

1 T yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water

Dissolve yeast in water.

1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 egg
4 cup flour

Mix sugar, salt, egg, flour, bulgar mixture and yeast mixture. Mix well. Add more flour (about 3 cups) until soft dough forms. (You will use 7-8 cups of flour total.) Knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl and allow to rise for one hour or until double. Punch dough down. Rest for 10 minutes. Shape into rolls. Raise 45 minutes or until double. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Note: I always double this recipe in my large mixer and machine knead the dough. It makes quite a few rolls but they freeze well. I usually replace at least half of the flour with whole wheat flour and add 1/8 to 1/4 cup vital gluten.

1 comment :

  1. i haven't made these in about a year! ugh...they would taste and smell so good! ;-)
    ~eunice

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails