Monday, September 21, 2009

Applesauce Bread Pudding


When I bake bread, I usually make about seven loaves at a time. I like to slice all the loaves before freezing the bread for convenience later. Usually I separate the loaf ends or heels to use to make bread crumbs, filling, croutons, or bread pudding!

Bread pudding is one of the ways our grandmothers used up old stale bread. I imagine in the days before Tupperware and plastic bags, stale bread was more common then today. But stale bread or not, our family enjoys bread pudding, especially for breakfast. Recently I was able to acquire my grandmother's copy of the More-with-Less Cookbook. I have enjoyed looking through it and reading some of my grandmother's notations. I found this version of bread pudding that we think is even better then my former recipes! I like to make it up the day before and refrigerate overnight so it is all ready to go for breakfast. Here is the recipe with a few Gina adjustments!

Applesauce Bread Pudding

In greased 9 inch square pan, arrange
4 slices of bread, cubed

Combine:

2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Spread over bread. Top with
4 additional slices of dry bread, cubed

Beat together:

2 eggs
2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
dash of nutmeg

Pour over bread.

Optional: Top with 1/2 cup applesauce and sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar.
Bake at 350 for 55-60 minutes.

Note: I added extra bread and left the topping off. (I'm nearly out of applesauce.) Next time I may spread it in a 9x13 pan so that it takes less time to bake.

2 comments :

  1. This was delicious! Thank you for the great recipe Gina :)
    http://muminbloom.blogspot.com/2009/10/recipe-applesauce-bread-pudding.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks delightfully delicious! It also reminds me I was going to do a post on a new natural oatmeal recipe I made up the other day (can't give away the secret yet you'll have to stop by again soon) ;)

    Thanks for stopping by (and commenting at) Earth Friendly Goodies.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails