Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving - and Pumpkin Curry Soup

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you have enjoyed recalling the goodness of God this week. I have so much to be thankful for! And my list would have to include long weekends!

It was so good to have Ed home for the last three days! And maybe the best part is that we had no plans and nowhere we had to go for any of those days! Ed's family was together two weeks ago and my family plans to be together Sunday (tomorrow). So the last couple days were open to do whatever we pleased! At least as much as is possible with four children! In other words, sleeping in was NOT on the list of options!

It is rare for us to have completely unscheduled days! Of course, we found ways to fill up the hours! Ed borrowed a carpet shampooer and worked his way around the house cleaning carpets. The carpets badly needed cleaned but the job looked overwhelming to me. Ed spoils me rotten! I'm thinking it is pay back time! Thankfully I like to bake and he has hinted that there are some recipes he hopes to see this Christmas. (And since he reads what I write here, I've rather committed myself. Right?)

Since my bumper pumpkin crop this fall I've been trying to get the courage to make pumpkin soup. This week I finally did and we enjoyed it even more then I expected! I put several recipes together to come up with this version. Definitely a good warming soup for a cold day! If you have some leftover pumpkin and turkey broth, give it a try! (Sorry I forgot to take a picture!)

Pumpkin Curry Soup

2 T butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 1/2 tsp curry powder (or more if you wish)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 cup chicken or turkey broth
3 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup milk

Saute vegetables in butter until slightly tender. Add seasonings, broth and pumpkin. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in milk. In batches, blend in food processor or blender until smooth. Serve warm.

This soup may be made up to a day ahead and warmed gently before serving. Do not boil.

Garnish with croutons, sour cream, or crumpled bacon. Also may be served over rice.

2 comments :

  1. Yum, we love pumpkin soup, and yours sounds delish!
    Also nice with chickpeas added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it could be the same soup. I don't remember if it was curry or not, but I do like curry. Guess we'll give it a try.

    Thank you for posting this one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails