Friday, February 26, 2010

Artisan Breads Every Day - Sticky Buns

Another recipe review from Peter Reinhart's new book.

Sticky buns are the ultimate comfort food to me! There is just something about a gooey lick-your-fingers sticky bun that just speaks of a mother's love. I hope my children can enjoy the same comfortable vibes some day when they eat warm baked bread!

This dough was simple to make a easy to work with. I replaced three cups of the white flour with whole wheat flour, added 2 T vital gluten and increased the milk to a total of 2 1/4 cup.

The only confusion I had on this recipe was placing in pans. The recipe specifies that it makes 24 buns and they should be placed in two round cake pans. I could only fit half the buns in the two pans. I put the remainder of the pans in a 9 x 13 pan. They rose beautifully and I was quite glad I had not crowded them any closer.

I used the recipe for the creamy caramel slurry which was the perfect finishing touch. My husband thought there could be a little more "goo". Of course, since I spread the slurry in more pans then the recipe specified, maybe I should have doubled the slurry.

In any account, they were delicious. Whether they beat my mom's sticky bun recipe is still undecided. I asked Ed which he liked better and he said he wouldn't know unless he ate my mom's buns again. I can see where that is going! :-) Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that he is the biggest fan of this blog!

2 comments :

  1. Knowing that I'd be laid out on the couch all morning waiting for my blood sugar to stabilize is the only thing keeping me from going to prepare something like this for tomorrow after seeing these tempting photos! :D

    I greatly admire you for working through this book & am enjoying your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are so pretty! As kids we used to love travelling to New Brunswick (a province in Canada) because Sticky Buns were famous there. It's all my brother and I would spend our money on. Thank you for the "sweet" memories :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails