Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Overnight Yeasted Waffles


We are waffle fans and have waffles at least once a week. I've been perfecting our waffle recipe ever since we were married and thought it was perfect. But when I made the chocolate waffles, I was given some new ideas!

I always had trouble using 100% whole wheat flour as the waffles would be heavy and stick to the iron. The chocolate waffle recipe was mixed the night before with a small amount of yeast. In the morning, egg whites were beaten and added to the batter. This made the waffles very light. In experimenting with whole wheat flour, I found that adding the beaten egg whites kept the waffles light even with all whole wheat flour. Separating and beating the egg white was an extra step but since all the other prep was done the night before, it still was a quick breakfast.

Give it a try! We like them with peanut butter and syrup or a dollop of yogurt.

Overnight Yeasted Waffles

2 cup whole wheat flour
2 T honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups milk
3 eggs, separated

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Stir in butter and milk. Cover bowl and sit on kitchen counter overnight. In morning, heat up waffle iron and separate eggs. Whisk yolks into the batter and whip whites to soft peaks. Gently fold whites into batter. Do not over mix. A few lumps are fine. Cook batter in waffle iron.

If you have leftovers, cool on rack, wrap in plastic bag and freeze. Reheat in toaster for quick breakfast.

2 comments :

  1. OK Gina- talk about a "duh" moment- but you wouldn't believe the lengths I go to in order to cool my waffles so they don't get soggy. We just had a good chuckle at my expense for never having thought of using a rack!!!! Guess I'm not functioning at full capacity first thing :)

    I've tried overnight waffles twice- 1st time I loved them, 2nd time they were stinky and tasted awful. I have no idea what I did wrong! But I wish I did because I love doing the prep work the night before. I'll try your recipe next time my freezer stock runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one who likes peanut butter (and syrup) on their waffles (or pancakes)!!! My husband loves to tease me about this. And my in-laws think it's interesting/funny/weird, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails