Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Zesty Venison Soup

October, the designated "soup month" here at Home Joys, is over - but believe it or not I still have some soups to share. One of my goals in sharing soup recipes was to have all my favorite soup recipes located in one spot. So, I plan to share a few more this month. Hopefully toward the end of November I can get on a new topic and share some of our favorite whole grain cookie recipes for Christmas baking.

This soup is another favorite from my mom. I think it is the only soup I make containing cauliflower. I've never grown cauliflower before but picked up some plants by mistake this fall. I always heard cauliflower was hard to grow but these actually did  okay and were the excuse I needed to make this soup this week. I didn't have any fresh venison so used some canned venison instead. It made a quick fix meal since the meat was already tender. This is a thick and hearty stew great for the cold weather we've been experiencing the last few days.
The bread is the honey oatmeal bread from Discovering Sourdough. As usual I did some adapting and replaced some of the white flour with whole wheat.


Zesty Venison Stew


1-2 lb venison stew meat
1 med onion, chopped
2 T ketchup
2 T Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup vinegar
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cup cauliflower, chopped

Cut meat into 1 inch pieces. Saute onion in oil til tender. Add ketchup, Worchestershire, and salt. Blend in flour. Add meat, broth , and vinegar. Stir well. Cover and simmer until meat is tender about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes and carrots to stew. Simmer 20 minutes. Add cauliflower and cook until tender. Serve.

4 comments :

  1. Oh yummy! I'm looking forward to those cookies recipes. Cauliflower is maybe Derek's favorite veggie -- I should make this soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DH -
    We love venison, too. My dad always said that the taste depends on the way the meat is taken care of. I have never had it taste "gamey" though I've heard others who didn't like it. I usually can our deer meat. It is perfect for a quick meal. One year we ground some venison. I would use it half and half with ground beef in a any recipe and I almost liked it better than all ground beef.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails