Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Calico Squash

Tired of zucchini recipes yet? My children are, but I'm not.

This recipe is one of my favorites. My children don't like it but Ed and I can eat the whole pan ourselves.

The original recipe came from my friend Becky. I adjusted it so it is simpler to make with fewer ingredients.

I sometimes make it with only zucchini but the different colors of squash make it pretty.


Calico Squash

2 cup sliced yellow squash
2 cup sliced zucchini
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup shredded carrot 
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup shredded cheese

Toss squash, zucchini, onion and carrot with flour. Stir in all other ingredients except bread crumbs and cheese. Pour into casserole dish. Top with bread crumbs and cheese. Bake for one hour at 350.

7 comments :

  1. Oh my! This is a must try as i seem to always have squash laying around : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic! I can't wait for our zucchini to be ready so I can try this. Hard to go wrong with mayo, cheese, and bread crumbs in the mix. Those ingredients flavor some of my favorite dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! this sounds like a good one to use up some of the yellow squash I've got going on around here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, perfect timing! My sister-in-law brought me some zucchini and squash a few days ago, and I was thinking that, given the quantity, I ought to try something new. I baked this up this evening, and it is fantastic! Thank you for a great recipe!

    dep31

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of cheese would be used in this? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails