Saturday, August 4, 2012

Red Corn Relish

I love all the chopping and mixing to make a good relish. There is something fun about combining lots of fresh ingredients from my garden.

I happened to have all the vegetables I needed for this recipe except for the cucumbers and my neighbor who gardens across the fence from me, shared a couple from her garden.

Just a note - do not decrease the vinegar. Because vegetables are low acid, they need to be either pickled or pressure canned to preserve safely.


Red Corn Relish
from The Complete Guide to Country Cooking

4 1/2 cup cut corn
4 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cup shredded cabbage
3 large cucumbers, seeded and chopped
3 large onions, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 cups sugar (I substituted 2 tsp stevia)
1 1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup salt
1 T celery seed
1 T mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric

Combine all ingredients in large pot. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Pack into jars and can for 15 minutes. Approx. 10 pints.

6 comments :

  1. Is that amount right for the tumeric? Seems like quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becka, for catching my mistake. It is corrected now.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I definitely want to try it. It looks really good! I too, find great delight in chopping and mixing and adding it to my collection on the shelves. This is one of my creative outlets as a Mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does one use corn relish for? I've never used it but it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa-
      Relish is eaten as a condiment like a pickle.
      Gina

      Delete
  4. My eldest loves corn relish, Gina. Your looks real good. I like it with cracker and cheese.... must try your recipe when our summer corn is harvested (not for several months though)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails