Thursday, October 11, 2012

Honey Cornbread

Life continues...

Whether I have time to blog about it or not.

Last weekend we were down in North Carolina visiting Ed's sister Jean. (And thanks to those who continue to pray for their family. They are doing well, but they do miss Jason.) We spent a fun day at Jamestown - an extra special treat since we studied Jamestown recently in our history studies.



This week, my brothers put in replacements windows in our house.  I've been putting off any deep cleaning for months, especially window washing, since I knew this was planned. It is wonderful to have sparkling clean windows - that actually close securely!



Now I have no excuse not to clean. We are diving deep under furniture and in closets and finding a healthy crop of dust bunnies and stink bugs. I love how children are thrilled at simple things like reorganizing their bedroom furniture.

But somehow, even on busy days, everyone still expects to eat! Cornbread is a favorite at our house and the perfect addition to a pot of soup or chili. It is easy enough that my eight year old made it herself last night.



Honey Cornbread

1 1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Mix all dry ingredients together. In another bowl, mix all wet ingredients together. Mix all together until barely moistened. Pour into greased 9x13 pan or cast iron skillet. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

11 comments :

  1. Definitely going to make this. We love cornbread but I have never made it from scratch. Your windows are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this recipe. We love cornbread. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your windows look really nice, but the cornbread even better.
    I love to use my cast iron cookware, just pulled out of the oven a roasted chicken in my dutch oven pan.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cornbread. It is equally as good with pure maple syrup instead of honey.

    I love clean windows. Makes me wonder why I don't wash them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds good! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child on the farm my father loved a small glass of cornbread and milk as a nightly snack. Since we grew and ground our own corn and milked a cow both were things that we could produce right on the farm. Cornbread is a regular addition to meals on my farm too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning, thank you for sharing this recipe with us, and your new windows look so beautiful, have a wonderful day, huggles from Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love corn bread too!!! Just wondering if I don't have honey on hand would the same amount of plain sugar work the same??

    Thanks,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana -
      Honey is sweeter than sugar, so I'd replace the honey with a greater amount of sugar. Maybe 1/3 or 1/2 cup?
      Gina

      Delete
  9. Your windows look really good. You are so right about having to keep the feeding going! Sometimes I find it hard to have to stop projects to start preparing food and cooking. Thats where batch cooking comes in doesn't it (although there is still vegetables to prepare to go with it). Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to Jamestown over 5 years ago now and since she 4 at the time, I was shocked when Hannah looked over my shoulder and recognized it from your picture :D Wish I had a memory like that!!
    The cornbread looks amazing and I'll have to try it when our dent corn finishes drying here soon. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails