Thursday, December 3, 2015

Six Homemade Spice Mixes


I buy spices in bulk and enjoy making my own spice mixes. There are many recipes online, but these six are my present favorite.

In the summer, I keep some of these mixes, especially ones like Ranch dressing powder, in the freezer to keep them from absorbing moisture in my humid kitchen.

I like to write the directions on a label on the jar to make it easy to whip up a dressing or dip.

Seasoning Salt

I keep this by my stove and sprinkle it on about anything I am adding salt to -as long as it isn't dessert.

1/2 cup salt
2 T paprika
1 T parsley
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin

Mix all together. If you wish, you can blend it in a coffee grinder to make a fine powder.


Taco Seasoning

I like to have plenty of this seasoning on hand in the summer to quickly season ground beef or chicken for taco salad or burritos. This is also perfect for taco soup.

4 T onion powder
2 T salt
2 T chili powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T cumin
1 1/2 T oregano
1 tsp red pepper (optional)

Mix well. Two tablespoons equal 1 purchased package.



Ranch Dressing Mix

2 T onion flakes
2 tsp onion powder
2 T parsley
2 tsp paprika
1 T salt
2 tsp pepper
1 T garlic powder
Options: dill weed, tarragon, oregano, or celery seed

Mix all together. Two tablespoons equal 1 purchased package.

For dressing: Mix 2 T dry powder, 1 cup mayo, and 1 cup of buttermilk or kefir.
For vegetable dip: Mix 2 T mix and 2 cups sour cream.


Italian Dressing Mix

This is my newest mix, but I think it will be a favorite.

1/2 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
2 T oregano
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil
1 T parsley
2 T salt

Stir together. Two tablespoons equal 1 purchased package.

To make into Italian dressing: Mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 2/3 cup olive oil, 2 T water, 2 T dry mix. Blend well. Serve.

My mom mixes chicken breast chunks, cream soup, cream cheese, and Italian dressing mix in her crockpot. The result is a wonderful rich chicken dish that we love served over mashed potatoes.


Onion Soup Mix

2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 tsp parsley
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix well. I shake well before each use. Four tablespoons equal 1 packet of purchased onion soup mix.

I like to combine brown rice, water, onion soup mix, and raw chicken in a baking pan or crockpot for a yummy but simple meal.


Everything Season (Mural of Seasoning copy-cat)

1 1/2 T onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp basil
1 tsp dried chives
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried lemon peel
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried dill weed

Mural of Seasoning is a spice from Penzey's that I love on just about everything - roasted potatoes, vegetables, meat, etc. My homemade version is not nearly like the real thing, I'm sure. But I like it just the same.



6 comments :

  1. My ranch dress mix is also in the freezer! It went bad before we could use it, though I make around 3 cups of mix at a time. I am excited to try your ranch dip, my 4 year old things mine is 'hot'? Your mothers chicken Italian crock pot meal looks great too - I will be adding that to my list :) Thank you for sharing all these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much water and brown rice do you put in the crockpot with the onion soup mix? How long do you cook it for and what temperature (high or low?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bad at not measuring. I use basically twice as much water as rice. The temperature and length of time will depend upon your crockpot. Mine seems to run low so I usually put in on high for about six hours.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. I saw a really cute idea that could apply here! The craft was to put spices into clear Christmas ornaments , recap , and then box in a decorative box or tin and present as a gift. I would think that these mixes would work perfectly for that! In fact, I just may be doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are very helpful; thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing. Perfect for gifts.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails